Well it was there in the firewall, but for Apache, not WAMP since WAMP wasn't installed yet. I found a WAMP download and installed it on my 64 bit machine. It worked. But when I went to edit the httpd.conf file, it was in French! So I downloaded XAMPP. It also installed fine. Now I have to figure out how to build out my dev environment to include Netbeans, PHPbb, Wordpress, etc.
I've always installed each piece independently and so knew how it all went together. I've never installed it using an installation routine like this. I also have to figure out how to configure Dreamweaver to work with it.
I'd still like to know why it didn't work when I installed the pieces independently.